CHURCHILL, STAR OF VALPARAISO GAME, IN REGULAR LINE-UP

UNIVERSITY REGISTERS 5 TOUCHDOWNS AND ONE GOAL

When Team A lined up for the hardest scrimmage of the year against the black jersey men yesterday afternoon, Churchill started at left halfback as a result of his brilliant open field running in the Valparaiso game Saturday. G. Owen, Jr., '23 was the other halfback; Captain Horween played full; F. Johnson took the team at quarter. The scrubs were fighting mad and contested every inch of ground bitterly, often piling up team A in its tracks. However, before the session was over, the University team had registered 5 touchdowns and 1 field goal.

Horween and Owen Smash Scrubs

Johnson sent Captain Horween and Owen smashing into the opposing line time and again until the scrubs, unable to stand the pummeling, weakened. Then these line-bucking backs smashed through for a touchdown apiece. Churchill, making a spectacular run, slipped, dodged and squirmed past the seconds for another tally. Later R. S. Humphrey, who replaced him, scored again on an open field run. F. Rouillard '23, another substitute, plunged through for the fifth touchdown. Buell, replacing Johnson at quarterback, drop-kicked a goal.

Scrubs Make Valiant Efforts to Score

The scrubs, when on the offensive, fought as desperately as on the defense, but were unable to score. They played good football, often making long gains and completing a forward pass, Conlon to R. W. Gratwick, that threatened the University goal line.

All the men in the first squad reported at practice, but four could not scrimmage, Tierney's cheek and eye are severely bruised. Both Holmes and Lockwood have injured feet. Fitts is not in condition yet.

Team A lined up as follows: center, Havemeyer; guards, Woods and Brown; tackles, Faxon and Tolbert; ends, Gaston and Crocker; quarterback, Johnson; fullback, Horween; halfbacks, Owen and Churchill.