CORNELL EDUCATOR AND L. A. COOLIDGE '83 SPEAK

MEETING IS OPEN TO ALL MEMBERS OF THE UNIVERSITY

At a meeting of the Harding-Coolidge Club at the Union this evening at 8, Jacob Gould Schurman, for 28 years President of Cornell University, and Mr. Louis A. Coolidge '83 will speak.

Aside from his national reputation as President of Cornell, Dr. Schurman has been recognized as a leader in New York State politics, in the foreign affairs of the country, and in the literary world, especially in the field of History. He has served as President of the first United States Philippine Commission, and, in 1912 and 1913, as our minister to Greece and Montenegro. While in this official capacity, he gathered the first-hand material that he later published in the authoritative book on the Balkan Wars of 1912-13. On his return to this country in 1915, he was elected to the office of first Vice-President of the New York State Constitutional Convention. During the war, in 1917, he again entered public service as a member of the New York State Food Commission.

Is Booming Republican Ticket

Relieved of his university duties at Ithaca, he offered his services to the Speakers' Bureau of the Republican Party and has been touring the country on the stump for Senator Harding and Governor Coolidge.

Mr. Louis A. Coolidge '83, who will preside at the meeting, will add a few remarks to those of Dr. Schurman. Mr. Coolidge, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury under President Roosevelt, is a man well known in national politics. Last summer Mr. Coolidge, who was a delegate to the Republican National Convention in Chicago, was elected Chairman of the Committee on Arrangements.

Aids Republican Activities

Besides being active in national politics, Mr. Coolidge has been prevailed upon to lend his aid to the local Republican activities, and has been made a member of the committee which has charge of the Republican Torchlight Parade which will be held on October 28.

The meeting tonight, though primarily for members of the Harding-Coolidge Club, will be open to all members of the University.