LLOYD GEORGE

Again Mr. Lloyd George has demonstrated his strength. On October 20 by a vote of 346 to 79 the House of Commons rejected the motion of Arthur Henderson, Laborite, for an investigation into the Government's policy in Ireland. The result is an overwhelming vote of confidence in Lloyd George's policy and a severe defeat for the Asquith-Henderson forces.

The sixteen months which have elapsed since the signing of the Versailles Treaty have witnessed great changes in the governments of three of the "Big Four" nations. In France, M. Clemenceau, worn out with his arduous labors as Premier, sought the dignified but comparatively unimportant position of President. The French Parliament surprised the world by electing another man. The vote was generally deemed an expression of dissatisfaction with the "Tiger's" work in connection with the Peace Treaty. In Italy there have been several turnovers; Orlando was replaced by Nitti; the latter after resigning was reappointed, but was later succeeded by Giolitti. In the United States, President Wilson, hailed two years ago as the world's new savior, has been defeated in his plan for prompt acceptance of the League of Nations.

In Great Britain, however, Mr. Lloyd George is as strong as ever. There have been railway strikes, factory strikes, and, as at present, coal strikes; there have come up for settlement the Irish problem, the Polish question, delicate relations with France on the German question, and other foreign complications. Lloyd George remains in control. When the smoke screen has cleared, when the events and issues of the present period shall have become history, the British Premier will stand out as one of the shrewdest politicians and ablest states men of all time.