GREATER NEED THAN EVER IN SOCIAL SERVICE WORK

CONFERENCE HELD WEDNESDAY

Each year from 250 to 350 volunteer workers are sent out under the direction of the Social Service Committee of the Phillips Brooks House Association. Five hundred men will be needed this year, however, to meet the daily increased requests for workers on the application blanks, which have been sent to most of the settlement houses and boys' clubs in Boston and Cambridge.

Social Service, as done by Harvard students, consists chiefly of boys' clubs work; of teaching--both of foreigners and Sunday School classes; of athletic coaching; of entertainments--musical and otherwise; of associated charities, juvenile court, infirmary and hospital work; and of procuring speakers from the student body for various occasions. In addition, clothing collections, through which many distributing houses for the poor are substantially aided, are made in the University twice a year. The Social Service Committee in charge of these various branches for this year is as follows: Chairman, R. R. Higgins '22; secretary, G. V. Smith '22; associated charities, J. A. Sessions '21; juvenile court, R. M. Sedgwick '21; entertainments, R. B. Farrar '21 and J. Sargent '22; infirmary, J. G. Flint '23; inspectors, R. W. Gratwick '21, A. Houghton '21, R. K. Kane '22, L. B. LaFarge '22; G. C. Lee '21 and J. N. White '21; in charge of speakers, H. H. Faxon '21; and in charge of clothing collections, J. S. Clark '23 and B. Wigglesworth '23.

Because of its growing popularity with the students, Social Service is recognized as one of the most important branches of Phillips Brooks House activities. It is an opportunity for usefulnes and self-expression, and through it a man can obtain a far broader view of life than is possible in many other occupations.

Meet This Wednesday Evening

Next Wednesday evening, October 6th, at 7.30, there will be a conference in Phillips Brooks House to which all the men of the University are invited. At this conference, Social Service in all its phases will be discussed and explained. Those who wish to apply for this work can leave their names at Phillips Brooks House office at any time, or can see the secretary of the committee there during his office hours--Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 8-9 and from 12-1, or Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday from 8-9 and from 10-11.