P.B.H.

The work of the Brooks House Association again looms up as of vital interest to the University. The Phillips Brooks House is not only the religious center of Harvard; it is also the oasis from which spring all our social service activities. Every year sees more and more of an increase in the good work done by its members from reception--as, for instance, that one recently given to foreign students--to University Team and the relief of some of the hopeless conditions in the slums.

Its activities are of the kind that must attract the sympathy of every whole-souled college man, whether or not he himself takes an active part in them. Its name and purpose alone should be sufficient to insure the well-wishes of the University, and the success of its newly-launched $5000 drive. Many men in college are giving freely of their time and energies to assist the association in maintaining the high standard of efficiency and morale which has marked its career in the past. Many more will this week become volunteer canvassers in order to bring the drive up to its full quota.

The least that the rest of us can do is to receive these men and their mission gladly. They should not be obliged to extract a few dollars from us by force. We all know, and most of us appreciate, the importance of the Brooks House to the University. Its financial drive should need no more backing than the mere announcement of the fact that such a drive is in progress.