CROSS COUNTRY MEN TAKE FOUR MILE RUN

Cemetery Course Covered in 26 Minutes 30 Seconds--O'Connell Paces for Two Miles

The University harriers ran the four-mile Cemetery Course this afternoon, when a squad of about 14 reported to Coach McCarty, one new man reporting. At the start Coach McCarty informed the men that there was to be no race but that the course must be covered in under 30 minutes.

Captain O'Connell led the first two miles at a pace so stiff that many of the men were lagging at the halfway mark. The pace in was a trifle slower and the first six men stayed well together. The distance was completed in 26 minutes, 30 seconds. R. N. Bryan '23, S. L. Tait '23 and H. L. Pratt Jr. '23 showed good form. The Freshman harriers had a short two-mile work-out along the first part of the Cemetery Course.

Coach Farrell gave the distance men long work-outs on the track yesterday and gave instruction in the rudiments of running. The field event candidates also had a stiff practice. Carpenter, Lipp and Stevens of the 1924 squad were promising candidates in this department.