From an Ex-Service Man

Communications

To the Editors of the CRMSON:

Speaking from the experience of an overseas man, I wish to answer the "friendly advice" offered by Miss Helen Taff.

In the communication of October 6th, Miss Taff reproaches us for having defended ourselves from the slanderous attack made upon our College by an Irish priest. You accuse us of being friendly towards England, is that a digrace and a shame? Have we not reason to be friendly to the nation with which we fought side by side in the great war? Why should we be moved to give offense to a friend for the sake of a people who did their best to knife us in the back during the great war, with their pro-German activities? As for friendly terms with Ireland, does Miss Taff know that American sailors were not allowed shore leave in Irish ports because attempts would be made against their LIVES by the "friendly" Irish? In my own small experience which, however, has brought me much in contact with the English, I have never heard an unkind word said or seen an uncourteous action towards me or any American. As I agree heartily in everything that the Editor of the CRIMSON said in his editorial of September 28 I will answer Miss Taff's nine conclusions as though I bad written that editorial myself.

1. I have been through the "purifying flames of war."

2. I have studied history with unfailing interest.

3. I feel sure that I speak with honesty, justice and unselfishness.

4. In 1775, some of my ancestors were fighting a German autocracy as interpreted by George III, Hanoverian king of England.

5. Good Americans sympathize with England because she stood between us and a Teutonic invasion in 1914.

6. I know that every day Americans return from England feeling that the English are the best friends that we have in the world, filled with enthusiasm over their reception.

7. It might be wise, Mr. Editor, to read a history of the great war, especially England's part in it before allowing such a distorted pro-Irish book as "Ireland."

8. It is quite possible for an editor to speak strongly without losing his temper. (Losing one's temper is a strong Irish characteristic.)

9. The case is not at all parallel between the colonies and Ireland today. The colonies were not offered every indulgence, Home Rule, Dominion government if so there certainly would have been no Revolutionary war. The Irish are not bowed down under taxes that threaten to ruin trade. The colonies were not treacherous to the mother country in times of war (to wit: the French and Indian war) as were the Irish during the great war. In fact the points of similarity are so few that it is ridiculous to say that the cases are parallel.

Sir, I know that what I have written above will stand the light of investigation and I hope that unhyphenated Americans will not stand silently by and allow the Irish radicals to break the bond between England and America, that of language, tradition and ideals. FRANCIS W. MASON '24.