UNION OPENS SEASON TONIGHT WITH SPEECH BY GENERAL FAYOLLE

WAR COMMANDER-IN-CHIEF OF FRANCO-BRITISH FORCES

General Marie Emile Fayolle, one of the foremost generals of the French Army, will give his only speech in New England, and his first before a university in this country, at 8.15 o'clock tonight in the Living Room of the Union. President Lowell will preside, while Professor Andre Morize, formerly a member of the French mission to Harvard, will introduce the General. The lecture will be open to members of the Faculty and of the Union only.

Several changes have been made in the program of the General's visit here. The buildings of the University will be inspected directly after luncheon, which will be served at President Lowell's house, instead of later in the afternoon as was originally planned. At 4 o'clock General Fayolle, escorted by President Lowell, Professor Julian Coolidge '95, and others, will arrive at Soldiers Field, where the salute by the Artillery Unit will be fired. General Fayolle will then be given an opportunity to see the football team at work before attending a tea to be held in his honor at the Signet Club. The dinner at the Union, to which many prominent men in both public and private life have been invited, will begin at 7 o'clock in the Trophy Room.

Here for American Legion Convention

Though General Fayolle's Boston tour is unofficial in character, he was sent to America as official representative of the French Government to present the Medaille Militaire, the highest decoration of France, to General Pershing at Fort Myers, Virginia, on October first, and was personal representative of Marshal Foeh at the convention of the American Legion at Cleveland. He commanded the First and Second Divisions of the American forces in the second battle of the Marne, and won especial fame in the battles of the Somme and the Aisne as an artillery organizer. In 1917 he served as Commander-in-Chief of the Franco-British forces on the Italian front. Upon recommendation of high officials he is to be retained on the active list indefinitely and continue his membership on the Superior War Council.

Last night General Fayolle met an assemblage of army, navy and marine corps officers, as well as distinguished citizens, at the dinner to him given by J. M. J. Flammand, the French Consul, at the Somerset Club. This morning he will make calls on Governor Coolidge and Mayor Peters at the State House, and visit the Institute of Technology.