E. A. SPERRY TO LECTURE ON GYROSCOPE AT UNION MONDAY

Famous Inventor Will Address Open Meeting Under Auspices of Astronomy Department

Mr. Elmer A. Sperry, President of the Sperry Gyroscope Company, will lecture in the Living Room of the Union next Monday evening, November 15th, at 8 o'clock, under the auspices of the Department of Astronomy. Mr. Sperry will tell of the development of the Sperry gyrocompass and Sperry stabilizer, and will trace the remarkable results obtained in the new high intensity searchlight. The address will be open to the public.

During the war, Mr. Sperry held the chairmanship of three different committees under the Naval Consulting Board. He is a member of a number of important mechanical and electrical societies and one of the founders of the American Institute of Electrical Engineers and the American Electro-Chemical Society. The Aero Club of France awarded him first prize in 1914, and in 1915 he took the Grand Prize at the San Francisco International Exposition for gyro-compass and gyroscopes. One of the most interesting of Mr. Sperry's awards is his decoration for navigational equipment by the late ex-Czar Nicholas of Russia.

Three anonymous friends have presented to the Astronomical Department a model of a Sperry gyro-compass which, together with a model ship stabilizer donated by Mr. Sperry, will be used for illustrative purposes during the lecture, while lantern slides and moving pictures will further aid Mr. Sperry in his explanations.