ON COLLEGE GRIDIRONS

B. C. With Best Record on Paper in East, Starts Real Test of its Steel--Syracuse Cracks

The four contending football teams for tip top Eastern honors continue to run neck and neck to the tape. Penn State, which until last Saturday had a slight lead on the others inasmuch as it had not been even tied this season, struck a determined obstacle in "Tom" Keddy's Le high eleven and was nearly eliminated from the contest. At any rate it lost much prestige for the conquerors of Nebraska, Dartmouth and Penn. It was fairly outplayed by a "midget" eleven of wildcats which did not have any too enviable a record, having been defeated by the Washington and Jefferson "Generals," tied by West Virginia, and held by Rutgers to only 9 points. As it is, the State eleven is now on even terms with the University, Princeton and Pittsburg, all having played a tie game. It is evident that Bezdek was not expecting the stiff game that eventuated against Lehigh had forward passed its way to a touchdown in the third period did he put Way into the line-up. Within ten minutes that eel-like back had run up a score. Bezdek had every intention for saving his ace for the all-important Pitt game--Thanksgiving Day.

Tigers Have Right to Crow

For the Tigers the season is over. Starting in colorless fashion, Roper brought his team into whirlwind finish by tying the University and running up the second biggest score against Yale that a Princeton eleven has ever made. Princeton stands in rather an enviable position; for two years it has had a clean slate in the big three contests with two ties with the University and two decisive victories over Yale. It is, of course, impossible to name the sectional champion until all of the returns are in, but in any case Princeton will merit consideration for premier honors.

Another contender for the sectional title is Boston College, which although it has had few hard games this season, showed its power by defeating Yale 21 to 13. At any rate it is the only eleven in the East which has not been tied. However, because it has had only one real test of strength, it is not yet rated on a par with the other above-mentioned elevens. Its next three games will tell their fortunes for the year. Marietta, coached by "Greasy" Neale of the Cincinnati Reds, comes to Boston Saturday much as did Valparaiso--a "mystery team" that has turned aside all comers in Midwestern football--outside Conference circles. Ohio press-agents have been hard at work supplying the Eastern press with adjectives describing their hopefuls, and if a mere half of them are ture, B. C. will need all the available strength it can round up. In the next two weeks Georgetown and Holy Cross come to Boston to contest for the Catholic College title; it remains to be seen whether Boston will crack wide open as it did last year against West Point.

What's the Matter With Syracuse?

Holy Gross won much prestige by turning back Syracuse, a team which has proved the enigma of the season from the point of view of "Sunday Coaches." After a preliminary season marked by prodigious scoring against weak opponents, the ponderous Orange team fought Pitt to a tie, and defeated Dartmouth. Then every bit of advance calculation went to the eternal bow-wows when Holy Cross by a single field goal defeated Syracuse. It was thought that Meehan's "Big Team" had staged a comeback when Washington and Jefferson was thwarted 14-0; but along came Maryland State unpretentiously, and aided by butter-fingered play by Syracuse backs, they defeated Syracuse for the most unaccountable overturn of the year.