WRANGEL'S DEFEAT

General Wrangel's futile attempt to establish a true freedom in Russia has failed. Fighting a losing campaign ever since the Polish Treaty left the Bolsheviki free to turn the whole power of their armies against his troops, he has at last been literally smothered by superior numbers in the region of the Crimea.

His defeat is tragic not only in itself, but also in that it gives another respite to the rule of Lenine at the expense of the Russian people. It shows, too, the futility of the policy of isolated attacks and unsupported campaigns; in the attempts of Kolchak, Yudenitch, and Denikine, lack of co-ordination was the cause of failure. Even Allied aid has been given on no more than one front at a time, and then but timidly.

The fall of Wrangel's army, however, does not mark final victory for the Moscow government. What martial force has failed to accomplish, economic weakness may bring about. Russian manufacture has been destroyed, crops have been neglected, even the barest necessities of life are none too plentiful; and with the approach of winter, these problems are becoming ever more acute. The Moscow Government this winter faces trials more severe than the menace of an isolated attacking army. Famine, poverty, discontent--these will have to be met and remedied. The success or failure of Lenine depends now, not on armies, but on economics. The winter will bring the test.