THE CHOICE

Today America elects a President, This selection is a referendum in which the people of the country will choose between parties and policies, rather than between specific campaign issues. With out doubt the majority of Americans desire a League of Nations, and this was never more clearly shown than in a test vote during the Senate controversy last spring, when an overwhelming majority of the members of the upper house expressed their desire for some sort of a League. The snag that is still holding them is the exact kind of a League desired. Obviously the underlying choice of the campaign is not the much touted and buffeted League, but a deeper decision on parties and leaders.

The CRIMSON has already pointed out why it believes the Republican party best qualified to perform the service of leadership during the next four years; perhaps a more poignant way of impressing this point of view is to consider the question from the opposite side. In other words, would the country be better off under four more years of Democratic control?

Four more years of Democratic domination would mean four more years of Wilson. Like France under the reign of Louis XIV, America would be subjected to four more years of autocracy, for Governor Cox is "in perfect accord" with President Wilson,-"1'Etat c'est moi." This danger of absolute centralization of power in the head of our nation is a menace that must be recognized. Opposition to such a menace is no heresy, and as Wendell Phillips said "when your house is on fire, you do not give a moderate alarm." Business interests in the East are demanding release from the heavy tax burdens imposed by the present government, the cry of the West-especially the farmers is "Down with the House of Wilson," and even in the South, the solid South, people are restless, even riotous, under the oppressive economic conditions.

Today the die is cast. Tomorrow will see America looking forward to a period of sane reconstruction, both nationally and internationally, under the sound judgment and able guidance of Senator Harding and Governor Coolidge.