FALL HANDICAP MEET CLOSES TRACK SEASON

SCHEFER LEADS 1924 PACK

E. E. Schefer '24 was elected captain of the Freshman cross-country team at a meeting of the squad yesterday afternoon, before the time trial for the meet with Yale on Saturday. In the time trial Schefer was the first to cross the tape. His time was 16 minutes and 31 seconds, which is 36 seconds better than any time done by the Freshmen over the three mile course this year. A. L. Coburn and Wallace, who finished in that order after Schefer, both broke the tape in better time than the previous clocking of 17 minutes, 7 seconds.

There will be a handicap track meet this afternoon on Soldiers Field, winners of the first three places receiving gold, silver and bronze medals respectively. These medals are on exhibition in Leavitt & Peirce's. The field events will take place tomorrow and mark the close of the outdoor Fall Track season.

All Freshmen who have signed up for fall track to fulfill their athletic requirements, and any others interested in track, should report at Weld 3 to be assigned hours for indoor track which begins Monday at Hemenway Gymnasium. This work will continue until the Christmas vacation. Work in the field events will continue in the cage until Thanksgiving. University track men may continue to run at the field at their convenience, but there will be no formal practice until after Thanksgiving, when the board track will be ready at Soldiers Field.

Practice on the board track will be in preparation for the relay race, hurdles, sprints and other chief events of the Winter Track season. Men are especially desired to report for the shot-put.

There will be a triangular meet with Cornell and Dartmouth for which February 26th is now set as a tentative date. The question as to whether the Arena or the Mechanic's Building in Boston will be used for winter meets has not yet been decided upon. The team will enter the B. A. A. Games, to take place some time around the first of February, when the Relay Quartet will run their annual race with Yale. There will also be an informal meet with Tech, in all probability, and men will be entered in several of the invitation meets held in Boston armories during the winter. The winter season will close around the first of March with a Winter Carnival on the board track.

A spring trip seems now to be a fair possibility. If hopes are realized the team will travel as far south as Virginia and will participate in two meets, the possibilities for which are dual meets with the University of Virginia and Annapolis, or possibly a set-to with Georgetown.

Little is known of the ability of the former on the track; of late, Georgetown has had but one luminary in track and field events--Legendre, Olympic pentathlon athlete.