ELI HARRIERS ALMOST MAKE PERFECT SCORE

FRESHMEN SUFFER DEFEAT

The Yale University and 1924 harriers overwhelmed the two University packs at the annual race held over the Belmont hills on Saturday. The University score was 16 to 41, while the Freshmen trailed to the tune of 18 to 44. E. Siemens, the Yale captain, recently elected to fill Reed's place, was the first runner to cross the tape in the University race. His time was 34 minutes, 21 seconds. Although Siemens ran a well-judged race and finished in perfect condition, his time was 51 seconds slower than John Overton's record of 33 minutes, 30 seconds, made over the same course in 1916. Vander Pyl, the second Yale man, was about 50 yards behind Captain Siemens. Cros-by and Hilles of Yale finished arm and arm for third and fourth places respectively, having allowed Vander Pyl to finish second to earn him his letter.

Captain Bemis of the University was the fifth man to too with a time of 35 minutes. 21 seconds; and then after Rage of Yale took sixth place, H. L. Pratt '23, H. Mahon '22 and C. E. Reycroft '22 finished in that order. E. C. Dexter '21 was close on Siemen's heels at the three-mile mark near the golf course, but fell to the rear shortly afterward. The pace was too fast for O'Brien of Yale, a veteran harrier, and at the four-mile mark he collapsed-soon after coming down the steep grade from the Belmont Golf Links.

The Freshman race, three miles in length, was won by Captain Malcolm Douglass of Yale, formerly of Exeter, with the excellent time of 16 minutes, 4 3-5 seconds, which is just three-fifths of a second slower than the course record. He was followed by Hilles, his teammate, who in turn led Captain Schefer of Harvard to the tape by about 50 yards. Other members of both teams galloped down the hill to the finish well bunched with few stragglers.