UNIVERSITY AND JUNGALEERS BATTLE TO DEADLOCK BEFORE 40,000 INMAT

KECK PLAYS LIKE ONE POSSESSED-ENDS HOLD LOU

In striking similarity to last year's drawn battle, history repeated itself on Saturday when the Tiger and Crimson elevens fought desperately to a 14 to 14 tie on Soldiers Field. This year's contest was possibly less full of freaks and thrills, but was nevertheless crowded with exciting breaks which threw the balance first one way and then the other. Like last year, a Princeton victory seemed certain till a whirlwind of forward passes near the end of the last period performed the "impossible." This time the aerial combination was Buell and Macomber, not Felton and Casey, and the pass was not a flat pass over the line of scrimmage, but a long heave that was plucked out of the air by Macomber only a few yards from the further limits of the forward pass zone. To even the count, Faxon was not handicapped by being obliged to kick the goal from as perplexing an angle as Church did last year; but he made life worth living again in the same sure-footed fashion.

Keck Stars in Line

For the Crimson eleven there was one big difference in the opposition of 1919 and 1920, that was Keck. Many Orange and Black supporters claimed that if he had been in the line-up last year, victory would have been certain for the Wasplegs; and Saturday's performance showed that their boasts were not unfounded. Keck put up by all odds the greatest exhibition of line-play that has been seen in the Stadium this year. The ubiquitous Keck, who tips the scales at a paltry 212 pounds, is faster than many an end. This "ring-tailed roarer and curly wolf" covered punts like a demon possessed, and when he hit the receiver, picked him up bodily and catapulted him five years backward. Fitzgeraid stood some wicked punishing in this way. On the defense Keck was the Gibraltar of the Nassau line. The Crimson ends couldn't put him out of the play; he always kept his stocky feet and managed somehow to bring down University runners on either side of the line. Keck was in a furious frame of mind, leading the team onto the field at the start of the second half, looking for all the world like a bull, infuriated at the red of the Crimson jorsoys. Directly afterwards, Keck put in his best work of the day. After making three tackles of Crimson runners in succession, he charged through the line and waded into Owen's punt with his arm and part of his jaw, directly leading to a Princeton score; for in the next two play was behind Keck that Garrity hurtled over the last chalkmark for the score

Center of Line Comes Through

Keck was not the only star in Tiger line. Flanking Captain Calls were McManmon and Dickinson; played a slashing game and went the distance. Dickinson has made a name for himself as a basketball player, was not counted first string guard material; McManmon was starting his game, battered as he was in last we game. Maury Trimble, All-American Princeton halfback last year, commented after the game that their work under was the most gratifying surprise of afternoon to the coaches: apparently Roper's "center of the line problem solved.

In the Princeton backfield, Lourie, Garrity and Murrey each contributed some mighty fine play. Lourie, however, sistently fell back in kiek formation attempted to skirt the ends that he might display his forte-open field running. Time and again-hindered it must said by off-color passing from Callahan he was thrown for losses, especially Kane and Hubbard, who played exceedingly alert bruising games, but couldn't last the whole distance. Garrity's plunging was of a high order; behind Keek and Hooper, the former New back, aided by especially effective interference by Gilroy seemed to roll off center defense and inside the tack into a free field where Havemeyer, played an equally good roving defer usually felled him. The Crimson secondary alert for forwards were not pared to stem these bucks. Murrey not show his speed to advantage, buttoned some beautiful passes, two which including the now famous he to Lourie, covering 30 to 40 yards on a line.

Flying Interference Fails

Princeton's "flying interferer" fizzled comparison with its expected effective ness. A flying interferer can dash in fore the ball is put into play and Indians an unsuspecting tackle whose only thought is the play coming to meet him. By playing first the flying interferer, the

Crimson tackles managed in many cases to keep their feet and still remain set to smash the coming onslaught. It was another evidence of the coaching received evidence of the coaching received last week in scrimmages against Coach Knox's Princeton plays.

Princeton's forward passing game, much-vaunted as it was, did not pan out as successfully as was intimated. Except for the Murrey-Lourie loss that scored the touchdown, the Princeton passes that were successful, 5 out of 10 tries, gained only short distances in the middle of the field.

Lourie Whisks Over Line

The Princeton scores came like a bolt from the blue. Shortly after the opening of the second half, Murrey dropped back into kick formation, as Lourie sped forward with an interferer at his side, not to turn until he reached up and snared Murrey's perfectly timed throw. Churchill partially misjudged the trajectory of the ball and was nullified by interference almost immediately. Lourie reversed his field, sped past Fitzgerald, outwitting this last cog in the University's defense, and zigzagging his way to the line.

Not long afterward Keck launched his own personal 6-play offensive, when Owen's kick was blocked. The ball careened over to the other corner of the field, pursued by Legendre, Owen and another Wasp-leg. The latter duplicated the feat of Garrity in the Yale game last year when his interference made it possible for Scheerer to carry his recovered fumble for a touchdown. Legendre passed on and fell on the ball. Two plays afterwards, Garrity waded through a huge hole behind Keck, hurled himself on his neck and snuggled around the pigskin.

The University's first score came as a result of some capital line-plunging by Owen, his solo march up the field aided and abetted by two 15-yard penalties that could but take the growl out of the Tigers. Horween hurdled center for the score, one of the few times he handled the ball, due to injuries to neck and finger that placed him at an emphatic disadvantage that makes his exhibition the more to be respected. The last minute advance to the spectacular Buell Macomber score has been all but set to poetry in the last twenty-four hours. The neatness and dispatch that has always characterized Buell's play and the speed exhibited by Fitts seemed to galvanize a dispirited attack into action. It was the Irony of fate that Roper saw his charges robbed of victory by a forward pass that outwitted his secondary defense. The Princeton back over whose head the pass was slung was Cleaves, recently substituted on account of his excellent breaking up of forwards against the Navy and West Virginia, a department at which Murrey did not excel.

The summary:

HARVARD.  PRICETON.Kane, l.e.  r.e., StinsonMacomber, l.e.  r.e., DavisFaxon, l.t.  r.t., HooperTolbert, Brown, l.g.  r.g., DickinsonHavemeyer, c.  c., Callahan, ThomasWoods, r.g.  l.g., MaManmonHubbard, Sedgwick, r.t.  l.t., KeckCrocker, r.e.  l.e., LegendfeFitzgerald; Buell, q.b.  q.b., LourieOwen, l.h.b. r.h.b.,  Gilroy, WittmerChurchill, Fitts, r.h.b.  l.h.b., GarrityHorween, f.b