WISE MEN AT MARION

Senator Harding has adopted the almost unprecedented policy in calling the wise men from the four quarters of the country so that he may converse with them on problems and policies before he assumes leadership of the United States. No doubt one is dismayed at the thought of Elihu Root buying his ticket home as William Jennings Bryan alights on the station platform. Mr. Harding must be overwhelmed with ideas and suggestions as different as their originators. Yet there can be no doubt as to the value of hearing all sides of important questions; and it is far better to hear each opinion separately, with a breathing space between, than to hear them all at the same time.

Mr. Harding is doing what President Wilson has conspicuously failed to do, to surround himself with men who can offer advice, before proceeding to action. Out of the mass of argument that is presented to him day by day by men of different parties and different schools of thought, he will be able to settle on a definite, constructive program to begin, immediately on March 4. This parade of wise men who are not always wise may tickle the humor of some; but to those who voted down Wilsonism in November it is a serious sign that bodes well for the future of our next President.