THE PARTING OF THE WAYS

Ever since the plebiscite in Austria rejected the plea for pan-Germanism, it has been evident that Germany's former ally has broken free of Prussian influence and Prussian modes of thought. The recent news from Geneva confirms this evidence; Austria, feeling that it is better to be a repentant member of the League rather than a defiant outcast, has faithfully complied with the treaty stipulations and has finally gained admission to the Geneva assembly. Except for Turkey, Germany has lost her last supporter.

That nation, however, still continues, undiscouraged, along the path of unapologetic self-aggrandisement. General von Bernhardi, the author of the ultra-militaristic "Germany and the Next War," which was published in 1911, has just completed another three-volume book in which he defies the foes of the fatherland and nerves his countrymen "to prepare in defeat for the victories of the future." He warns the world that though Germany may be forced to remain peaceful for a time, she will buckle on her armor again as soon as her manpower and strength return. With the nation's leaders preaching a new war, and the mass of the people grumbling and defiant towards the demands of the peace treaty, it does not appear as though Germany were ready to follow Austria's course of action for some time to come.

Perhaps this definite parting of the ways between herself and her ally will bring home to her the full consciousness of the unwisdom of her policy. Perhaps it will but increase her defiance. Certainly the former probability is the most desirable; there are too many latent forces of literary and scientific thought and accomplishment in Germany to have them thrown away in useless pursuit of a rainbow's end. Were Germany to realize this, and make some attempt to free herself, as has Austria, from the grasp of Prussianism, not only she, but the world as well, would profit by it.