ARMY PLANS AVIATION MEANS FOR UNIVERSITY STATIONS

Efforts Being Made to Recruit Service From Graduates of Designated Institutions

"Efforts are being made to put a plan into execution which will include the recruiting of new officers from designated universities and colleges to take the places of those men who are leaving the aviation service," Captain T. T. Craven, Director of Naval Aviation, stated in the letter which he wrote to the University Aeronautical Society recently and which was read at the smoker held in the Quiet Room of the Union last night.

"A comprehensive syllabus of training for use at selected colleges and universities is being prepared, and the intention is to submit this syllabus to these institutions for their guidance in establishing a course in aviation."

Major L. H. Drennan, air service officer attached to the Northeastern Department of the United States Army, and Major MacDill discussed the aviation situation in the Army. Although as yet no definite plans have been announced, it is quite probable that a Militia Flying Corps will be established in Massachusetts and will include one or two squadrons. It is expected that the Army will supply 15 airplanes and replacements for each squadron and a detachment of men from the regular United States Aviation Service to keep the planes in condition. Thirty fliers, commissioned in the militia, will be assigned to each squadron.