THE PILGRIMS

Three hundred years ago the Pilgrim colonists first grounded their shallop upon the shores of Cape Cod, and established a new race and traditions which were destined to spread across continents and throughout nations. Three hundred years is but a short span of the world's life, yet human memory is sometimes shorter. How fitting is it, then, that on this day we should turn for a time from out shuttles, and books, and plowshares, to remember and do homage to the courage of the Pilgrims and to the ideals which led them forward!

Had they faltered or doubted, the aims which they so soon achieved would still be far away; even this generation might still have been groping vaguely in the darkness. But they bore the torch unflinchingly, and passed it on glowing yet brighter than before. The torch now is ours, and it is we who must lift it high--not with strife, and bickering, and gloomy forebodings, but with calm trust and steadfast purpose. This is our heritage--this is our duty on the stage of life; that courage, truth, and light shall dwell forever in the land of the Pilgrims.