ENDOWMENT FUND DRIVE GIVES CHANCE TO JOIN "LIVING HARVARD FORCE"

RECENTLY IN EUROPE, SEES BRIGHT FUTURE FOR FRANCE

"I cannot think of any campaign, among the numerous drives, campaigns, and regular charity collections to which the Harvard man is asked to give, that should have a greater appeal to Harvard men than that of the Endowment Fund," said Jerome D. Greene '96, Vice-Chairman of the New York Endowment Fund Committee, and former Chairman of the committee which raised the fund for the School of Education, in a recent special interview for the CRIMSON. "I feel sure that every undergraduate in the College will want to become a part of the 'living Harvard force,' as President Eliot has so appropriately called the great union of men, which is made up of graduates of the University and the Graduate Schools, of men connected with the University for years or only a short time, and of many persons who though but indirectly connected or merely interested friends, have contributed to the Endowment Fund. I look upon the Undergraduate Endowment Fund campaign: first, as a sort of roll call to determine the positive cooperation of all Harvard men in the maintenance of their University, and then, as a means of raising funds to help in this work."

Mr. Greene an Overseer

Mr. Greene, a former President of the CRIMSON, has been General Manager of the University Press, Secretary to the Corporation, and otherwise prominently connected with University affairs. He is now an Overseer of the University, member of the International Health Commission, and trustee and secretary of the Rockefeller Foundation. Mr. Greene has lately returned from a business trip in Europe during which he investigated financial conditions in several great European countries.

"The reports of this country's unpopularity abroad have been exaggerated," he continued. "The people of Europe do not so much dislike the United States as they have a natural uncertainty--which we Americans feel ourselves--as to where we stand on the international problems of today. This cannot be determined until the new administration crystallizes.

France Has Grounds for Optimism

"I have not formulated any definite opinion as to what France can look forward to in the way of solution of her financial and industrial difficulties. The financing and rehabilitation of industry are so difficult, and the future is so obscure, that it would be rash for anybody to say what the outcome will be; but in the most vital factor, which is the temper, industry, and integrity of the people in these fundamental respects, I saw a great deal of ground for optimism. If it is true, and I believe it is, that the essential thing is that the people should show resolution to work hard and pay their debts, then the future of France is, on the whole, encouraging."