CRIMSON OPEN TO FRESHMEN

COMPETITIONS IN EDITORIAL, NEWS AND PHOTOGRAPH LINES THURSDAY.

Members of the class of 1923 will be eligible for the first time to compete for the news end of the CRIMSON when they are called out Thursday evening at 7.30. The news department and the photographic department hold their competitions open to Sophomores and Freshmen, while editorial aspirants must be Juniors.

At the meeting of the candidates Thursday at the CRIMSON Building on Plympton street full details of the work in the three departments will be explained. In general, the election of news editors is based on the amount of news that appears in the paper, together with general usefulness and ability. Photographic men are picked for their expertness in securing clear and suitable pictures for the supplement and white section, and editorial writers are chosen more on a basis of quality than quantity. As no Juniors are at present on the editorial board, more than the ordinary opportunity is offered to candidates for this department.