EDUCATION SCHOOL FOUNDING TO BE CELEBRATED AT UNION

SCHOOL OPENS NEXT FALL

The establishment of the Graduate School of Education at the University will be celebrated tomorrow evening by a dinner in the Union, given by the committee appointed to visit the Division of Education. Governor Coolidge, President A. Lawrence Lowell '77, President Charles W. Eliot '53, Dr. Wallace Buttrick, President of the General Education Board; Dr. Payson Smith, Massachusetts Commissioner of Education; Professors Paul H. Hanus and Henry W. Holmes '03, of the Department of Education, will be the speakers. Jerome D. Green '96, Chairman of the Visiting Committee, will preside.

Open School Next Fall.

The announcement of the courses of instruction and the requirements for admission and graduation of the new school will be issued within a few weeks. The school, which is to be opened next fall, will be devoted to the training of teachers and school administrators, and to research in problems of teaching and administration. It will have its own library, laboratory, and model school, as well as a clinic for the study of children. In effect, it will be a reorganization and enlargement of the courses in education hitherto given by a division of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences. The school, however, will have a separate faculty, and will offer the degrees of master and doctor upon the recommendation of this faculty.

Two Million Endowment.

The initial resources of the school, apart from tuition fees, will be an endowment of $2,000,000. Of this sum, $500,000 was pledged by the General Education Board on June 2, 1919, contingent upon the raising of $1,500,000 by Harvard. On September 19, 1919, the President and Fellows of the University voted the sum of $500,000 toward the establishment of the school, this sum being practically equivalent to the existing budget of the Division of Education. The remaining million dollars have been secured from funds already received as a part of the Endowment Fund. The gift from the General Education Board and the rest of the endowment not otherwise named by the donors will be merged as the Charles William Eliot Foundation, in honor of President Eliot.

The following persons will be present at the dinner: The Board of Overseers and the Corporation; the members of the General Education Board; Dr. P. P. Claxton, U. S. Commissioner of Education; State Superintendents of Education from all parts of the country; head-masters and principals of Massachusetts private and public schools.