ENGINEERING SCHOOL VOTES NEW LANGUAGE REQUIREMENT

FORMER REGULATIONS VOID

The faculty of the Engineering School has voted that the department in which an undergraduate is a candidate for a degree may prescribe or advise such a, knowledge of modern languages as the department deems necessary.

The requirements of the departments are as follows:

Candidates for the Bachelor's degree in Mechanical, Electrical, Civil and Sanitary Engineering should have a reading knowledge of at least one modern language.

Candidates for the Bachelor's degree in Mining and Metallurgy are required to have a reading knowledge of French. They are also advised to acquired a reading knowledge of German.

Candidates for a Bachelor's degree in Industrial Chemistry are required to have a satisfactory reading knowledge of French and German; this requirement may be satisfied by passing French 1 or B. and German 1a, 1b, 1c, B, or the oral examinations in French and German, before the beginning of the fourth year.

The Administration Board of the Engineering School voted that this new requirement for modern languages be made effective at once.

The faculty voted that students now taking modern language courses to satisfy the requirements in force at the beginning the current academic year, which began in September, 1919, may be allowed to count the first half-year toward an elective if they chose, and for the second half-year to substitute another half-course. This arrangement applies to counting courses in the School (but not in the College), and for this period only.