BROWN DEFENDS "DRIVES"

Chancellor of New York University Answers Lipman's Criticisms of Futile University Drives.

In reply to an article by Professor Lipman of the University of California entitled "Futile University Drives," which appeared recently in the New York Times, Chancellor Elmer E. Brown of New York University has appeared to-fend the cause of the universities in their search for endowment.

Among the remedies that Professor Lipman proposes is "the reduction of the number of students in every institution by the system of admission only through strict entrance examinations." To this Dr. Brown responds that the economy in university expenditure through an artificial limitation would involve not only a waste of human values but a check upon our national aspirations.

"There are far more men in America today capable of profiting by university training than we have begun to train as yet," continues Dr. Brown. "There is abundant evidence of this fact in the great numbers of both men and women who are fitted by natural ability to take more responsible positions than they now hold, and are held back only by lack of education.

"The great influx of students in our universities is hardly more than the advance guard of those who will seek such training in the future and who must secure such training if they are going to serve their country according to their country's needs and according to their own capacity.

"The universities are not seeking simply to hold their own--they are facing the needs of a new world. They must do things which have not been done before. A university drive is not a futile undertaking when it is a sincere attempt to enable these institutions to live up to the level of the newer responsibilities and newer opportunities.'