GEER PLEASED AT RESULTS OF 1923 ATHLETIC SYSTEM

Aim to Put Men in Touch with Forms of Physical Exercise Which Will Carry Beyond College.

Mr. William H. Geer, Director of Physical Education, recently gave out the following statement: "We believe that the freshman compulsory athletic system is going very well and that we shell see a much greater effectiveness after it has had a longer opportunity to got going." The plan now in operation was adopted partially as a result of the example set by the "sport for all" doctrine put forward by the war, and partially because of recognition that college athletics, as formerly conducted, made most of the men in the University spectators and a few performers and beneficiaries of the sports.

Other colleges have tried somewhat similar plans but in most cases emphasis has been put on compulsory gymnasium work with the result that very little interest was aroused among the men.

The University has gone far away from this idea, and placed the emphasis on getting the men out for some recognized form of play. It is not only in an attempt to better the physical conditions of the freshman that the idea is now being pushed with such energy, for ordinary gymnastic work would do this, but the aim is to put the men in touch with the forms of physical exercise which will carry over beyond the college, and which they will be likely to continue for a large part of their lives.