THE SCHOOL OF EDUCATION.

When "education" is mentioned, the average undergraduate thinks of a number of unhappy incidents of his past life and tries to change the subject. Possibly, at the beginning of a half-year, he notices that the Elective Pamphlet contains courses under a Department of Education; but when he observes that one meets at nine and another at four-thirty, and that "reports and theses" are required, he loses interest. He is too busy dodging an education for himself to worry about providing one for somebody else.

Now we are told that this is all wrong. The University has started a Graduate School of Education, and a number of men whom we all respect have explained what an important and valuable addition this is.

It is hard to see, however, how the new school can fulfill the hopes of its founders unless it raise the standard of and the interest in the teaching profession. The country will always be able to find plenty of poor teachers and ordinary teachers. But of good teachers, men and women who have really studied their subject, such as we hope to turn out here, there have never been nearly enough. The need for leaders in the field of education now is greater than it ever has been. And so to the serious-minded undergraduates we appeal at least to consider the courses in Education as something more than diluents of Mathematics in a program for the Degree with Distinction, and to do their part towards "reconstructing" the world in our newest Graduate School.