UNIVERSITY ACQUIRES THREE PRIVATE HALLS

"GOLD COAST" DONE AWAY

Acting in accord with President Lowell's policy of intensifying the influence of the College upon the students by housing as many of them as possible in College dormitories, rater than in private houses, the University has taken over Claverly, Apley and Westmorly Halls from their private owners. Next year these buildings will be administered by the University authorities as regular College dormitories.

The purchase extends the holdings of the University in the Mt. Auburn street district so that it no includes nearly all the larger dormitories that were formerly in private hands. Randolph and Dunster Halls have already been acquired, and the athletic buildings and swimming pools connected with them, instead of being reserved for a few wealthy students, have become part of the regular athletic equipment and are being used for the athletic training of Freshmen.

Hampden, Ridgely and Ware Halls, which formerly were private dormitories, have been recently turned into apartment houses. The only dormitories left in private control are Russell, Beck, Fairfax and Craigie.

The money with which the purchase was made was not taken form the Endowment Fund, but acquired from other sources. The Endowment Fund is still in progress, and the fund will be reserved for the raising of salaries of the teaching staff and other purposes announced.

The three dormitories which have been taken over were all built in the nineties--Claverly in 1893, Apley in 1897, and Westmorly in 1898. The action of the University in acquiring them marks the final downfall of "The Gold Coast."