BASEBALL MEN TO MEET

BATTERIES START FEB. 17

In a meeting in the Trophy Room of the Union tonight at 8.15 o'clock, baseball plans for the coming season will be outlined by Dr. E. H. Nicholas '86, Coach Duffy, W. W. McLeod '19, and R. McA. Lloyd '19. All upperclassmen and Freshman interested in the sport are expected to attend the meeting.

The battery candidates for both informal and Freshman squads will report at the cage tomorrow. Until outdoor drill becomes possible and the R. O. T. C. has no need of the cage no infielders or outfielders will report. All players will be expected to provide their own equipment until the informal and Freshman squads are selected.

Duffy's Notable Record.

Both teams will be coached by Hugh Duffy, Coach of the University nine last season. He has had a long career in professional baseball, dating from 1887, when he played in the New England League. Later he was with such teams as the Chicago "White-Sox" with "Pop" Anson was captain, and the Boston and Philadelphia National League clubs. Since 1904 Duffy has managed several clubs in the major and minor leagues.

Definite plans for the informal season have not yet been made. According to the present ruling to college games will be played, but this decision may be changed by the athletic conference with Yale and Princeton. However, a long schedule with service, club, school and professional teams is being arranged. As many home game son Saturdays will be secured as possible in order that interest in the nine may be sustained.

Freshman Games Arranged.

Andover, Exerted, Rindge Technical School and other preparatory schools are among the teams likely to appear on the preliminary Freshman schedule. It is also probable that the Yale yearlings will be met in the latter part of May.

The Freshman managerial competition will begin today when candidates will report in Randolph 37 at 1.05 o'clock. Five positions are open to the competitors, managership, assistant managership, and three dormitory managerships.