UNIVERSITY AND 1923 BALL TOSSERS OUT DOORS

Yearling Nines Play a Four Inning Game While University Players Have Workout.

The first outdoor baseball practice for the University outfielders and substitute infielders and the entire Freshman squad was held yesterday at Soldiers Field. Batting and fielding practice only was in order for the University candidates, but Coach Young put his Freshman charges through a four inning practice game which was won 6-1 by team B. The first string infielders and battery candidates worked out as usual at the Middlesex cage.

By Saturday at the latest, Coach Slattery will begin practice for his first team infield at Soldiers Field.

A cut is in order for Monday and immediately afterwards the Second Team will be organized and will commence practice under the direction of Coach Claude Davidson.

Among the Freshmen, R. P. Field and J. C. Watson, as pitchers, and R. H. Keegan as backstop have been showing the best form. At present the infield is picked at follows: 1b, J. C. Bancroft; 2b, C. C. Lee; 3b, G. Owen; s.s., C. C. Buell, s.s. R. Worthington and S. J. G. Nowak are also good men.