BOY,--PAGE GOVERNOR ALLEN

Spring fever has had a disastrous effect on the students at a certain Kansas normal school. Quite in accordance with the old adage about the cat and the mice, the embryo teachers, while their headmaster was away from home for a few days, celebrated their little vacation by playfully tossing a couple of faculty members into the campus lake because, forsooth, they would not be forced into laying planks for a board running track.

The trouble was not due to unwillingness on the part of the instructors to give the boys a good time by aiding them in the construction, for we have word to the contrary from one of the victims himself, who told his plaintive story to solicitous pressmen after the state constabulary had been summoned to restore order at the college. No, the real cause underlying the incident seems attributable only to the malevolent exhuberance of youth. Even the blushing bridegroom was not spared. A young and newly-wed professor was mercilessly paraded to the waters, and saved his dignity only by a graceful plunge.

"I dived into the water for the sake of an ideal," he said, with startling disregard for the rules of grammar, as he wrung the moisture out of his clothes, "and as a protest against the use of force to promote school spirit."

The noble words of this youthful martyr ought to recall visions of Madame Roland and Sidney Carton, but somehow even the dry press dispatches summon a wry smile to our lips when they prate of our newest Kansan soviet.