HERBERT HOOVER

Because Hoover is not a politician, and places the public interest above his own; because he is a practical idealist; and because he is trusted and respected by Europe, Professor John Livingston Lowes, A.M. '03, Ph.D. '05, of the department of English, supports the former Food Administrator as the candidate best fitted for the Presidency of the United States. He says:

"The CRIMSON has asked me to say why I am one of those who wish to see Mr. Hoover President of the United States. Here are three of the reasons:

"Because he is bigger than party. He knows, as every sane man knows, that parties in a government like ours are instruments, and as such have to be employed. But everything which Mr. Hoover has said and done makes it clear that he will place the interests of the public above the interests of party. He is not a politician, and that is one reason why the politicians will have none of him. It is also one reason why those of us who put national before partisan interests should speak out.

"An Idealist with his Feet on the Ground"

"Because he is an idealist, with his feet on the ground. He has consistently translated his ideals into action, not-into words. His broad sympathies are tempered by hard common sense, and he is also the possessor of a sense of humor, which (one may safely believe) will keep him from regarding himself as the repository of all wisdom, or the sole spokesman of his one hundred million fellow-citizens. He seems so far never to have lost his head, with abundant opportunity to do so. He has showed the ability to carry out vast measures of relief abroad with the utmost economy of means, and he has executed drastic measured of repression as war emergencies at home without losing he confidence and the respect of those how suffered the discomforts he imposed. He has, in a word, proved himself a wise trustee of national interests at home and abroad. And there is every reason to believe that, if elected, he will run the government on a business basis, because he is a trained and-experienced man of affairs; and that it will be in the interest of large ends, because he is a man of vision.

Has Confidence of Europe.

"Because he has the confidence of Europe. Whether we will or no, our fortunes are bound up with those of the rest of the world. e are losing daily the confidence and the respect out of which alone understanding can ever grow. And without understanding no solution of international problems is possible. MR. Hoover has shown himself an American, and it is as the embodiment of what is most truly American that he is recognized abroad. He has shown no sign of being a man who will abate one whit the just right of the United States to act, when it does act, in its own duly constituted way. But he also believes in the participation of America (not its dictatorship) in measures which offer at latest a chance of bringing stability to the world. His judgment and his sanity are known of all men, and no other man is so qualified by his past and recognized achievement to restore mutual understanding."