ENGINEERING SCHOOL TO ADD SPECIAL COURSES NEXT YEAR

NINE FIELDS NOW OFFERED

The Faculty of the Engineering School has voted to establish a new undergraduate course of training in electric communication engineering, comprising the study of the telephone, telegraph, hydrophone, and radio-communication, and also to substitute for the present program of study in sanitary engineering, two new programs, the first to be in sanitary and municipal engineering, and the second in sanitary chemistry.

This change, which will take effect next year, will have the result of increasing the number of fields of engineering in which men may specialize during their undergraduate course at the Engineering School from seven to nine. Already the school has programs of study in civil, mechanical, electrical, and sanitary engineering, in mining, metallurgy, and industrial chemistry. Now students will also be given an opportunity to undertake a special course of work in electric communication so as to fit them for the wide opportunities in the telegraph, telephone, and radio-telegraphic industries, and for research and invention in the whole field of message sending. In addition, the course of study for prospective sanitary engineers will be divided so that those men who expect to specialize in public engineering in a broad sense, will be somewhat differently trained from those who expect to take up laboratory work.

Extensive Facilities for Study.

The program in electric communication engineering takes advantage of the extensive facilities of the Engineering School, including the telephone laboratory and other electrical laboratories in Pierce Hall and the radio engineering apparatus of the Cruft High Tension Electrical Laboratory. The program includes all the courses on electrical engineering and theory, electrical machinery, and transmission and distribution of power, which are required for a four-year program in electrical engineering, and in addition includes some of the graduate work in that department. There will also be considerable work in physics, mathematics, and mathematical physics.

Heretofore the sanitary engineering program at the University, as well as in the other universities and technical schools, has followed the civil engineering program except that certain engineering subjects have been omitted and courses have been substituted in qualitative and quantitative chemistry, organic chemistry, bacteriology, water and sewage analysis, and the like. An attempt to cover both the engineering and chemical branches in four years has tended to keep the instruction elementary. Now there will be an opportunity for more advanced instruction through the distinction between city engineers on the one hand, and sanitary chemists on the other.