COMPETE FOR BOYLSTON PRIZES.

Ten Speakers to Vie in Rendering of Varied Selections Thursday.

The annual public contest for the Boylston Prizes in Elocution for the current year will take place on Thursday evening, May 13, at 8 o'clock in Sanders Theatre. At this time the 10 men selected at the preliminary trials held last week will recite a varied program of modern selections. The prizes, which will be awarded at the close of the contest, were founded in 1870 by Ward Nicholas Boylston '35, for the promotion of public speaking at the University, and consist of two first prizes of $30 each and three second prizes of $20 each. The public is cordially invited to attend this meeting.

The program follows, the order of the speakers being arranged by lot: Daniel Webster--His Genius and Character,  Edward Everett Josiah David Segal '21. The Spell of the Yukon,  Robert Service William McHenry Keyser '20. The Artist's Secret,  Olive Schreiner Joseph Turkel '21. An Ode of Dedication (1917),  Hermann Hagedorn Charles William Eliot, 2d, '20. The Raven,  Edgar Allan Poe Malcolm Howard Dill '20. The New World--To the People of the United States,  Lawrence Benyon Benjamin Isadore Sperling '21. The Execution of Rodriguez,  Richard Harding Davis Frederick Clifton Packard, Jr., '20. On Resistance to Great Britain,  Patrick Henry Bung-chen Chen '21. Fuzzy-Wuzzy,  Rudyard Kipling James Gore King, Jr., '20. Tousaint L'Overture,  Wendell Phillips Richard Blynn Varnum '21.

Between speeches, and while the judges are making their decision, a double quartet from the Glee Club will entertain.