CRIMSON NINE MEETS STRONG AMHERST TEAM THIS AFTERNOON AT 4

SEVEN OF VISITORS HAVE FACED HARVARD BEFORE

As a prelude to the game with Princeton on Saturday, the University nine will meet the strong Amherst team on Soldiers Field this afternoon at 4 o'clock. The visitors, who have twice defeated Virginia, whom the University could only hold for a 2-2 tie, will offer no weak opposition. Strong hitters and a plentiful supply of pitchers, headed by Zink, make the Amherst team the most dangerous the University has yet played on Soldiers Field.

Coach Slattery will pit against Amherst the same line-up which was to have faced Virginia on Saturday. In the outfield, however, he will rearrange his men, going back to the order which he has used in other games. Hallock will take his old position in center field, while Perkins will go to right field. On the mound Goods will have an opportunity to try his slow curve against the visitors, while Hardell will be held in readiness to fill up the gap in case of need. Gammack will catch for the first time since his illness after the Spring trip.

Weather Still Hinders Practice.

Yesterday, as on the day before rain cut the practice short. After a few minutes work-out on the bases, the fielders went in while the pitchers were given a half-hour's work-out in the cage.

Seven men on the Amherst line-up today played against the University last spring when the Crimson defeated them 5-0, Brisk, Maynard, Cowles, MacNamara, Webber, Davison and Zink. Zink, who has had two years of experience on the Amherst team, has proved their most effective twirler this year. In the Cornell game, which was lost 6-5, he struck out eight men and held the Ithacans for a few scattered hits. Cowles, the first baseman, played a sterling fielding game, pulling down several wild throws which might have been costly.