THE MEXICAN MESS.

Mexico's soil seems a more fertile field for the seeds of revolution than that of any other country. Revolts and counter-revolts, executions and dictatorships, nowhere else are either so virulent or so persistent. Only through a rule of iron was Diaz able to maintain order, and at his policy of allowing foreigners to exploit Mexican resources the natives surged with discontent. The Mexican peon is like the dog in the manger; although he cannot govern himself, he will not long tolerate another's doing it; although he himself can not exploit the country's mineral wealth, he is determined that no one else shall do it.

Madero, an impractical dreamer, liberalized the constitution, and assassination was his reward. Huerta, elevated to power by one of Mexico's innumerable insurrections, was swept away by the troops of Carranza's and Villa, combined with the unfriendly attitude of foreign governments. Carranza's presidency has been marked with equal opposition from the outside nations because of his high-handed policy in regard to licensing foreign mining companies. His day, too, seems now ended.

Obregon, de la Huerta, or Gonzales may any of them develop into Mexico's new head. Every rebel band is a breeding ground for potential presidents, and as Mexico is today composed of little else than rebel bands, we shall be wise if we expect a good many more episodes before the present reel of Mexico's moving picture is ended.