ACCEPT!

In the Armenian mandate Congress is offered still another opportunity to reconsider its recent policy and to retrieve the prestige of the United States in the affairs of the world.

Whether Congress will accept this opportunity remains a matter of some doubt. That it should be accepted is certain. For nearly a century the Armenian cause has won unanimous sympathy from our citizens; and now comes our chance to express that sympathy by active aid.

Only a few days ago Congress itself passed a resolution recognizing the Armenian Republic and authorizing the dispatching of forces to the Black Sea. If this resolution is to be taken as a real expression of Congressional sentiment, it is only reasonable to hope that it will be followed by more active measures of assistance. The Armenian mandate, it is true, would involve expense and the outlay of much administrative skill. But the skill, we hope, is not wanting in this country; and the expense and trouble will be amply repaid after the establishment of a stable Armenian government.

Dodging responsibility never brings much popularity; but it seems to be a central feature of our present international policy. We have been very busy of late rendering lip-worship to "oppressed nationalities--the ridiculously futile Mason Bill is the latest example. In the case of Armenia comes a chance for us to show just how far we are prepared to support our fine phrases with real acts of assistance. If unselfish service is our aim, and not empty talk, the Armenian mandate offers the best opportunity.