INDIFFERENCE.

Aside from any conclusions regarding one candidate or another, the number of ballots cast in yesterday's Presidential vote furnishes an encouraging sign of undergraduate interest. The time was when such a vote might have fallen completely flat, before a general feeling of apathy. But for the last five years our wits have been sharpened and our interest aroused by an uninterrupted succession of strenuous living and headline sensations, so that today the time for "peaceful isolation" has forever gone by--for the college student if not for the nation.

But unhappily "Harvard indifference" is not yet a matter for the reminiscences of graybeards alone. Side by side with the encouraging results of the straw vote, we are again reminded that the three lower classes have been forced to consider an amendment to their constitution to guard against the too frequent occurrence of a minority election of class officers. While some remedy is undoubtedly necessary, it is a great pity that the necessity was ever allowed to arise. The undergraduate has been told by the outside world that he is the "hope of the future," until he can almost feel himself seated in the Presidential chair. But this furnishes no excuse for the neglect of present-day duties. We have seen of late the beginning of a healthy undergraduate interest in the affairs of the race, and in a discussion of its problems. But the University has also its right to share in our attention the matter of class elections is only one phase. There is no reason why the two cannot exist together. By all means let us continue to share in the problems of the outside world; but in doing so, let us not forget these problems which lie at our door.