Hoover and Foreign Affairs.

Communications

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:--

With possibly no exception Herbert Hoover is the only man who emerged from the ordeal of the Paris Conference with an increased reputation. His work of food conservation is so well known in this country that it even seems to hide from many people the magnificent work which the commission acting under his guidance accomplished for our Allies abroad. Aside from the humanitarian point of view, Hoover was one of the very great material factors which this country lent toward defeating the common enemy. Furthermore, let us never forget the extraordinary assistance afforded Europe in the first half of 1919 through the agency of Mr. Hoover and the American Commission of Relief. It was this commission alone that saw the European position during these months in its true perspective and dealt with it in that light. It was their efforts, their foresight and their perseverance, combined with the American resources placed at their disposal, which in spite of European opposition, not only averted an immense amount of suffering, but even preserved the governmental systems of Europe from a widespread breakdown.

As a remedy for this threatening tide of Bolshevism on the one hand, and the intrigues of autocracy on the other, Hoover holds forth the League of Nations, maintaining that--"Regardless of what any of us may think should have been the provisions of either the League or the Treaty, we and the world should not be kept waiting longer for settlement. The whole process of peace has been necessarily one of compromises, and so long as the final form gives us freedom of action and room for constructive development of peace I believe it should be accepted." R. J. BURNS, UNC.