TRACK MEN COMPETE AGAINST M. I. T. THIS AFTERNOON AT 2.30

BOTH SIDES AFFECTED THROUGH LOSS OF STARS

With the defeat in the informal indoor meet last February still fresh in their minds, the M. I. T. runners will compete against the University, track team this afternoon at Tech Field at 2.30 o'clock. Each team will be without the services of one of its star men, for G. Bawden, captain of the engineers, has been ill for several weeks, and C. G. Krogness '21, one of the Crimson's strongest point-gatherers, is ineligible to compete.

Even without these men the meet promises to be exceptionally close and will undoubtedly furnish many spectacular races. In the century lash, E. O. Gourdin '21, R. Chute '22, P. C. Pearson, Occ., and L. B. Sanderson '20 are entered against Hayes, King and Bossort of the Tech team, the last of whom ran a close second to Gourdin in the 40-yard dash in the dual winter meet.

Rely on O'Connell in Mile.

The same Crimson men, with the addition of B. Wharton '22, are to run against Poole, Bossert and Hayes in the 220-yard dash, while in the quarter-mile, Wharton, H. F. Colt '22 and W. H. Goodwin '20 will meet Spitz, Downey and Chittick. The first named of the M. I. T. men was the only Tech. winner in the winter meet, capturing the 390 from Gourdin in a brilliant sprint at the finish. Captain D. F. O'Connell '21 should have little difficulty in winning the half-mile with the other places being fought for by Wharton and Goodwin, and Bardes, Gurney and Chittick. O'Connell will also be Harvard's strongest contender in the mile run, and with F. G. Bemis '22 should place well against Stone, Murray and Gill of M. I. T. MacMahon, Tech's premier two miler, will face B. Lewis '20 and C. S. Bond, E.S., in that event.

In the hurdle events the Crimson trio is composed of F. C. Church '20, R. S. Whitney '22 and B. H. Tracy '23. They will race against Annable, Skinner, Brokaw, Poole and Merrill, while in the high-jump D. S. Laird, Occ., Gourdin and W. F. Goodell '21 will meet Ash and Grant. Dipple, M. I. T.'s best broad-jumper, will compete against Gourdin, Church and R. Page '22. Both Gourdin and Whipple are exceptionally good and the fight for first honors will be close.

R. W. Harwood '20, the crack pole-vaulter of the University team, should win first place over Walton and Fletcher of M. I. T. L. B. McCagg '22, C. F. Batchelder '20 and G. G. Monks '21 are relied upon to score for the Crimson in the weight events, while Tech has entered Boli, Hayes, Dandrow and Raymond in that event.