TRACK TEAM FOR NEXT SEASON STRENGTHENED

FAILURE MARKS PAST YEAR

In spite of the rather discouraging showing made by the University track team during the past season, prospects for next year seem unusually good. Out of its three scheduled meets this spring the Crimson runners were successful in only one, that with Tech. In this contest the University hurdlers captured every place in both of the timber events and so enabled the Crimson to receive the large end of a 65 1-2 to 51 1-2 score. The hopes raised by the victory over the supposedly strong outfit of the Engineers were soon brought down, for on Saturday of that week the Eli combination administered a severe defeat to the Harvard team, winning by over 50 points. Following the Yale meet, the Tiger team overwhelmed the University men 91-27, the severest beating that a Harvard team has received for many years.

The cause of so poor a season may be summed up in four points. First, the lack of a smooth-running coaching staff; second, the illness of Coach "Pooch" Donovan throughout the greater part of the spring term; third, the great scarcity of second and third place material; and last, the loss of men because of probation. The first of these can, and it is felt will be, remedied by those in charge of the track work. The second cause was unavoidable, but the last two reflect on the undergraduate body itself. Indifference and poor spirit were shown during the entire season by the students, not by the men on the team, but by the rest of the undergraduates.

Unclassified Men Available

Although four of this season's point winners will be lost by graduation, nevertheless the team will be greatly strengthened by the addition of several unclassified men who were ineligible to compete this year, and of fully half a dozen Freshmen who proved themselves of University calibre this spring. The men who are leaving this year are C. A. Clark Occ., the University's strongest entrant in the shotput; W. H. Goodwin '20, who took first place in the half-mile against Tech and in the quarter against Yale and second in this event in the Princeton meet; B. Lewis '20 and C. L. Bond E.S., who were both steady point winners in the two-mile run.

Team Strong in Dashes

For the century dash the 1921 team will have E. O. Gourdin '21, the Crimson's best all-around performer this year; C. B. S. Evans Unc. and C. H. Wansker Unc., who showed great promise during spring practice, and R. D. Howard '23, who proved himself to be one of the best sprinters in College in the meets in which he ran. In the 220-yard dash there will be the same men as were named for the 100, in addition to R. Chute '22 and P. C. Pearson '22.

J. E. Kennedy, leader of this year's yearling team, and Chute, will be strong runners in the quarter-mile. In the half and mile runs Captain D. F. O'Connell '21, W. C. Bennett '23 and A. J. Fox Unc., will present a combination that should prove almost unbeatable. A. J. Fox, and J. G. Winchester and R. N. Bryan, both of this year's Freshman team, will probably be the University's hopes in the two-mile. The Crimson hurdlers should be greatly strengthened next year by the addition of C. G. Krogness '21 and C. H. Hawes '23, the former of whom was lost to the team all this past season.

R. W. Harwood '20, the star pole-vaulter, will return next year and is eligible for another year's competition. H. R. Davis, the versatile field event men of the Freshman team, M. Gratwick '22 and T. C. Wales '21 are also expected to show up well next season. The broad-jump will be taken care of by Gourdin, R. W. Fitts Unc., who was high point scorer in both the interclass and handicap meets this spring, and L. Dejonge '23. The high-jump presents a large array of promising material; among these men are Krogness, Gourdin, Fitts, Davis and A. K. Murray '23.

In the weight events, L. B. McCagg '22, J. R. Tolbert Unc., M. W. Self '23 and G. G. Monks '21, are strong entrants