CONVENTION ADJOURNS AFTER FOURTH BALLOT WITH GEN. WOOD AHEAD

DEADLOCK BETWEEN WOOD AND LOWDEN WITH JOHNSON OUT

After the fourth ballot the Republican Convention adjourned until 10 A. M. this morning with its candidate for the Presidency as doubtful as it has been since the first delegate headed for Chicago.

Before balloting commenced it was generally conceded that a Wood strength totalling 300 or more would throw the nomination to the military candidate within a few counts. However, although Wood secured 303 votes on the first ballot, he failed to gain until the fourth, when his lead was increased by only 11 1-2.

Lowden was not far behind with a total of 289 1-2 on the fourth ballot, which makes his nomination a possibility if old guard forces in the shape of Sproul adherents and other delegates of the same order should swing to him.

The Johnson forces are still very much to be reckoned with. The Californian bad boy of the convention had 140 votes in spite of a nominating speech that was anything but a success. As a Republican nominee for the Presidency Johnson is now out of the question, but as a source of trouble his position is pregnant with possibilities. The Root plank which carried the convention over the critical period of the platform discussion, has aroused rather than soothed the unpleasant memories of eight years ago. Johnson supporters are men of well-defined attitude and it is not likely that they will desert their leader. Indeed, he has threatened to take the case of any mutinous delegate to the people. Until this factor has been definitely settled the issue of the convention will still remain undecided.

All in all, the situation is ready for the introduction of a dark horse. The man whose position in this respect appears the most advantageous of all is Judge Hughes. His name has not yet been placed before the delegates, but many more ballots must be taken before any of the present leaders can obtain the 492 votes necessary for nomination. A rumor at Chicago late last night had it that a caucus of leaders had selected Hughes as the man who would be brought up when it appeared definitely impossible to nominate either Wood or Lowden. Sproul was also mentioned as a possible choice.