SECOND EIGHT TRAILS 1923 BY HALF LENGTH

NICKALLS WATCHES WORKOUT

RED TOP, CONN., June 15.--This morning the University eight went for a four-mile practice row during which special emphasis was laid upon body swing. The Freshman and second crew held a short race of half a mile in which the 1923 oarsmen led by half a length, while the men of the first crew watched from the motor boat which followed the shells.

In the afternoon all three crews went for a four-mile row downstream. Although the Yale crews started out for a practice spin at the same time they turned back and Coach Nickalls then followed the University eights during their row.

In a baseball game held early in the afternoon between the managers and the waiters, a decisive victory went to the managing staff. Through a long contest lasting thirteen innings the oar greasers piled up thirteen runs, while the hashslingers were able to bring in only five. The victory was due chiefly to the powerful pitching of Paul Withington '09, and the expert fielding of Jack Watson '22, whose specialty was picking off the flies of the waiters. Elmer Long '22 showed remarkable, although unexpected abilities at the bat, and his slugging ability did much to pile up the thirteen runs of the managers.

Watson Stellar Performer in Field

The chief mainstays of the scullery nine were Clark Baldwin '22, and Robert Hooker '23, whose propensities at the bat were remarkable but were foiled at every hit by Watson with the unerring eye in the field. In addition the waiting staff was somewhat handicapped by the injuries sustained in the recent conflict with the Yale oarsmen over the possession of the flag.

The chief feature of the game was a long fly by Amory Houghton '21. At least it is claimed that it was a fly, although some maintain that it was only a mosquito and fouled off the bat and was lost in the long grass behind the catcher, Robb Sagendorph '22, who was prevented from seeing where it went by a playful trick of the manager, who tripped him up as he turned to look. Houghton, however, swears that it was a long fly and went into the river. The ball did not float, so there is no means of verifying the length of the hit, or whether it went backwards or forward.