CHARLES EVANS HUGHES TO SPEAK AT LAW CELEBRATION

Meeting Open to University and Public--Long Program of Speeches and Events Arranged

A long and interesting program of meetings and speeches has been arranged for the celebration on Monday of the beginning of the second century of the Harvard Law School, and of the 50th anniversary of Dean Langdell's taking office. The principal event of the celebration, at which an unusually large number of alumni and non-graduates are expected, will be a speech by the Honorable Charles Evans Hughes LL.D. (Hon.) '10, former Justice of the Supreme Court, in the New Lecture Hall at 11.30 o'clock in the morning. Mr. Hughes will speak on "Some Observations on Legal Education and Democratic Progress." Through the kindness of the committee in charge, this meeting will be open to all officers and members of the University and the public.

The day's festivities will start at 9.30 with an informal reception by the Faculty of the Law School in the reading room of Langdell Hall. The alumni and guests will have an opportunity to go over the hall and see the library and portraits. This gathering will be followed at 10.30 by an address by Dean Pound in the large lecture hall known as "Langdon Centre." The address by the Honorable Mr. Hughes will be the next event on the schedule, at 11.30, after which the alumni and guests will gather for luncheon at the Copley-Plaza Hotel at 1 o'clock.

At this dinner several speeches will be given by prominent graduates of the University. The Honorable Caleb Loring '72, former Associate Justice of the Supreme Judicial Court of Massachusetts, will preside. Among the speakers will be President Lowell, the Honorable Henry L. Stimson A.M. '89, former Secretary of War, James Byrne '77, Fellow of Harvard College, and Harold D. Hazeltine '98, Downing Professor of the Laws of England at Downing College, England.