DR. CABOT WILL GIVE SOCIAL ETHICS COURSES

OFFER PROFESSIONAL COURSES

Dr. Richard C. Cabot '89, M.D. '92, who was appointed to the Faculty last winter with the title of Professor of Social Ethics, will give next year an undergraduate course called Social Ethics A on the subject of "Human Relations," and a graduate half-course, Social Ethics 16, on "The Kingdom of Evils."

The course on "Human Relations," to be given Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 9, will be a study of the different types of human relationship in industry, in families, in disease, in misfortune, eac., and of types and varieties of personalities, with special interest in the question "Why do they get on well or ill with their fellows?" The more advanced course, a course in social diagnosis, will study the evils which all reform, personal or social, seeks to remove, including disease, ignorance, character defects and economic and other forms of resourcelessness.

Dr. Cabot's courses are expected to attract marked interest in view of his eminence as a physician and his practical experience in social work. He will give half his time to his Harvard teaching.

Other Social Ethics Courses Announced

The Department of Social Ethics also announces several professional courses which have never before been given. They are to be given by Professor James Ford who, during the war was manager of the Homes Registration Division of the United States Housing Corporation. They will include a general course on forms and methods of social service and also courses on poor relief, community organization and the housing problem and social aspects of town planning. There will also be opportunities for special professional researches in social ethics.

The announcement made by the department calls attention to the opportunities at Harvard for graduate professional training in social administration and recommends that students who intend to make administrative social work their career should undergo a thorough professional training of two years if possible, or at least one year. Such students are advised to take the professional courses given by the department and also to coordinate such technical training with basic courses in political and economic theory, in statistical analysis and in business administration. Students will be assisted in drawing up plans of study which will combine the courses in social ethics with courses given in other departments, so as to train them for any one of the special fields of social work.