NINE MEETS YALE AT NEW HAVEN; 1920 CELEBRATES ITS CLASS DAY

FELTON AND SELLECK CARRY PITCHING BURDEN FOR TODAY

This afternoon at Yale Field, New Haven, the Crimson and Blue cross bats in the initial set-to of their annual series. Both nines have, during the past week, turned in excellent exhibitions of ball playing; Yale, through high-class pitching, spectacular fielding and wide-awake work on the bases, shut out Princeton Saturday, 1-0. Twice last week the University blanked strong opponents, Felton and Goode twirling gilt-edged ball, and the team as a whole appearing to carry a powerful punch. Comparative scores denote little in collegiate baseball circles; and if they were employed in sizing up today's opponents, the result would be worse confusion. The playing ability and general morale of the team in the games immediately preceding the series are the only reliable means of comparing the two teams.

Yale Has No "One-Pitcher" Team

On such a basis of comparison, the game can be figured only as an even thing, the outcome to depend on pitching ability, and the "breaks" of the game. The University's brace against Fordham and Tufts looked all the more promising in that Felton and Goode showed their best brand of pitching throughout the season. Coxe's unexpected shut-out of the Tigers in the best game he has pitched since facing the Giants a year ago boosted Yale's pitching stock tremendously. They had been regarded as a "one-pitcher" team, due to the apparent reliability of Selleck alone, and the wildness of Kelly and Calhoun. Coxe's exhibition assures him of a start against the University, and relieves Selleck of the unwelcome responsibility for both the first two games.

Behind the plate, Peters, former Exeter leader, will have to look to his laurels in comparison with Blair. Blair's aggressive jacking-up of his infield and clever handling of his pitchers should offset Peters' edge in hitting.

Little to Choose Between Infields

The infield is a toss-up. At first, Diamond is a far more finished fielder than Jones; but the latter's long hitting makes him an ever dangerous factor in the Crimson offense. At second base the rival captains are both finished fielders, but Emmons' 330 hitting gives the University the edge here.

On the other side of the inner cordon, Yale will use two hard-hitting catchers, Holmes and Aldrich, at third and short, respectively. Lincoln and Conlon, the University players, are the neater fielders, but will have to bat above their present speed to compare favorably with their Yale rivals. Aldrich especially is a powerful hitter, and, though awkward in the field, is equipped with a remarkably strong arm. Since Holmes is not so blessed and cannot equal Lincoln in the field, it is expected that the University third sacker will surpass his opponent if he maintains his present stride in hitting.

The Yale outfield, led by the first-rate Faherty in center-field, is a feet, hard- HARVARD.  YALE. Conlon, s.s.  r.f., Murphy Hallowell, r.f.  2b., Sawyer Emmons, 2b.  s.s., Aldrich Jones, 1b.  c.f., Faherty Frothingham, l.f.  3b., Holmes Hallock, c.f.  1b., Diamond Lincoln, 3b.  l.f., Crane Blair, c.  c., Peters Felton, p.  p., Selleck

hitting trio that will give the University combination stiff competition. In center-field, Faherty seems certain to outshine the less experienced Hallock, none the less a fast fielder. In right-field, Murphy of Yale is death on flies, but weak on ground balls, and his hitting does not match with Hallowell's during the past week. In left-field, Frothingham is expected to outhit the faster fielding Crane.

In every position there will be a close fight for supremacy--except perhaps center-field, where Faherty constitutes the nucleus of the Blue attack. Pitching is going to be the deciding factor and if neither twirler cracks, it will be "breaks