FRANKLIN ROOSEVELT'S RECORD

Whether or not one believes Franklin Roosevelt to be well qualified for the vice-presidency of the United States, it is futile to deprecate his career in the world war by comparison with that of his distinguished fifth cousin in 1898. In his position of assistant secretary of the navy, his situation was extremely delicate, as he did not and himself in sympathy with his inefficient chief. The easier course would have been to run away and join the fighting forces, leaving the navy to its late Daniels. Instead, he "stood by his guns" in the face of great opposition; the efficiency of the navy in the war and the selection of Admiral Sims as its head were largely due to him. The situation was in no way analagous to the situation of the Assistant Secretary of the Navy in 1898 when Theodore Roosevelt found he could be more useful in the field than in his office. Although they may believe him unsuited for office for other reasons, it is both inconsistent and unjust for Republican papers, which, during the war praised him for the capable manner in which he filled his office, to turn about now and attack Franklin Roosevelt as a "slacker."