UNION OFFERS PRIZES FOR SCHOLASTIC AND EX-CURRICULUM WORTH

PLAN TENNIS, POOL AND BILLIARD TOURNAMENTS

During the season of 1920-21 the Union will offer to its members a series of prizes to be awarded for excellence in scholastic work and to the winners of various tournaments run by the club. The administration of the fund for these prizes will be in the hands of the Governing Board and of the Undergraduate Committee. The fund itself comes from a special donation to the Union and is not taken out of the ordinary revenue.

Four prizes of $50 each are to be awarded to those Freshman members of the Union who have the highest standing in scholarship and in general class activities at mid-years. These prizes will be awarded by a committee to be chosen by the Freshman Dean. The mid-year grades will be taken into account in making the selections, but general ability will be the most important consideration in the choice of the judges. Owing to the fact that the College Office does not announce the mid-year standings until late in February, the awards will be made early in March.

First and Second Prize for Theses

A first and a second prize of $100 and $50 respectively are to be given for the best theses submitted by members of the Union, whether graduates or undergraduates, on a subject to be announced in November by the Union Library Committee. This committee, of which Professor George H. Chase '96 is chairman, will also receive the theses and award the prizes. The date for handing in contributions has not yet been decided upon but it will be some time between April 1 and May 1. The subject chosen for the competition will have a bearing on some phase of University affairs.

Tennis Tournament Inaugurated

A Union tennis tournament for all members, graduate and undergraduate, will be run off duing the fall on the University tennis courts. Prizes are to be given to the winner and runner-up. A blue book for entrants in the tournament will be on the bulletin board in the Union Thursday. Drawings will be made during next week and the first matches played off by October 10. This tennis tournament will in no way conflict with the regular University tournament run by the tennis management.

This year two pool and billiard tournaments will be run off by the Union instead of one as in previous years. The first tournament will begin immediately after the football season and will be concluded before the Christmas recess. The second tournament will be played during the winter term. Prizes for winner and runner-up will be given for each tournament.