The Path to Public Service at SEAS

Should Supreme Court Justices Have Term Limits? That ‘Would Be Fine,’ Breyer Says at Harvard IOP Forum

Harvard Right to Life Hosts Anti-Abortion Event With Students For Life President

Harvard Researchers Debunk Popular Sleep Myths in New Study

Journalists Discuss Trump’s Effect on the GOP at Harvard IOP Forum

COMMENT

Is Baseball Honest?

The Englishman is greatly surprised by the great crowds which witness our athletic contests, for in his country the "fan" is the exception. This is due to the Englishman's preferring to play the game himself rather than to watch it.

For this reason, English college men do not show their enthusiasm by organized cheering under a cheer-leader, but inspire fight by a great shout at the beginning of the race, or in crucial moments of the battle when one may hear an occasional "Row! Row!" Men run along the course signalling to their respective teams how close their nearest rivals are by firing blank cartridges. After the regatta is over, much publicity is given it, and motion pictures of the event are sometimes shown the same day.

At Oxford there is not evident the athletic aristocrat who is so conspicuous in American institutions, for athletics are not monopolized by a small number of men, trained by high-salaried and specialized coaches, nor do the men appear before such a large number of students. Athletic success does not determine a man's position as much as here.

In general, it may be said that the athletics of Oxford are less organized than those in this country. But the average individual activity probably is greater in that English school. Each afternoon everyone does something in the line of outdoor sports, which is more than can be said for the typical American student. The English seem to have approached the ideal of just enough work and just enough play. There is a happy medium, a moderation between study and athletics. Winning the game is not the paramount idea, but rather playing a good game. W. B. Butler in the   Michigan Daily