EXTRA CURRICULUM

The men who go through a college without taking part in any of its activities are frequently condemned for a lack of "college spirit," while, in actuality, they are more to be pitied for a failure to make the most of their opportunity. Although it is indeed regrettable, from the standpoint of the college, to support a large number of parasitic students, who contribute nothing to its well-being, it is even more disastrous to the individual than to the institution.

The reason for this is the undeniable paradox, that those who give most to their college are also those who get the most from it. Thus, for purely selfish reasons, it would seem advisable to become an active rather than a passive member of the college community.

Many men, athletically inclined, find their chief interest on Soldiers Field, where they can accomplish much, both or themselves and for Harvard. Another large group lean toward scholastic attainment, in which it is possible to tain much benefit but less prestige than in the field of sport. Many students, for financial reasons, are unfortunately presented from devoting much time to any college activity. It is the large number, not qualified to star on Soldiers Field or in class room, who make up, for the most part, the passive members of the college. There can be no reason for this other than laziness or self-satisfaction, since a large University such as Harvard offers opportunity for every sort of ability to find expression. often a man who has been moderately successful in sport in his Freshman year, withdraws from active college life early in his Sophomore year, when, on election to a club, he may become convinced that he has already made a name for himself at Harvard. For this and other reasons, many a man of possibility is a wasted to the college and his abilities remain undeveloped.

About this time of year the greatest number of opportunities to become an active member of the college are presented. The CRIMSON, Advocate, Lampoon, Harvard Magazine, are calling candidates; the Glee Club and Chair are organizing. Now is the best time to take a interest in some college activity,--to realize.

"How dull it is to pause, to make an end

To rust unburnished, not to shine in use

As though to breathe were life."