LAUTNER WITHDRAWS; FRENCH NEW CHORISTER

GLEE CLUB PRESIDENCY VACANT

J. F. Lautner '21, whose sudden disappearance earlier in the month caused his friends considerable worry, has officially withdrawn from the University. In doing so he leaves vacant his position as Chorister of the Senior class, and President of the Glee Club.

Alden French '21, of Boston, who received the second highest number of votes for chorister in the Senior elections last fall will automatically succeed Lautner in that position in accordance with an established section of the Senior class constitution. Article III, Section 9 of the constitution reads as follows: "If for any reason any office or position becomes vacant, the vacancy shall be filled by that candidate who received the next highest number of votes for that office or position." The article in question deals specifically with the nomination and election of Senior class officers and precludes any thought of a second election.

Lautner Far in Lead for Chorister

The Senior Nominating Committee proposed the names of four men for the office of chorister this fall--Joseph F. Lautner, Alden French, Hugh Perrin, and R. B. Ayer Lautner got over a half of all the votes cast, polling 163 votes to 74 for Alden French, 48 for Hugh Perrin, and 17 for R. B. Ayer.

The election of a new President for the Glee Club has not yet been held, since the fact of Lautner's withdrawal was only officially confirmed yesterday.

His decision not to return to the University does not come as a surprise to his friends after his unfortunate disappearance two weeks ago, when suffering from a severe cold and from mental depression he left the University and was found some days later in Denver under the care of a physician.